Mini-conference with featured JEA speakers this Friday

The SNSJ will be hosting a mini-conference this Friday for current members, as part of the Journalism Education Association’s continuing support of the state organization. JEA President Mark Newton, Vice-President Sarah Nichols and Executive Director Kelly Furnas will be speaking on a variety of journalism topics, including design, press law & ethics, leadership, reporting and interviewing.

The SNSJ Board is thankful for their decision to volunteer their time and extend their trip after hosting the JEA Advisers Institute this week. This is a stellar opportunity to learn from some of the best in the field of scholastic journalism.

The conference will be held at Southwest Career and Technical Academy and will start at 9 a.m. and conclude at 4 p.m. Those interested in attending the sessions should contact SNSJ Co-President Matthew LaPorte. The cost for this event is $10.

Session 1: Student Media for the 21st Century
Session 2: What would we do?
Session 3: Where does the time go?
Lunch (provided by Tropical Smoothie Cafe)
Session 4: Finding the News
Session 5: Thinking Visually

adviser

About Matthew LaPorte

Matthew LaPorte is the current adviser of the Southwest Shadow online news site and The Howl yearbook at Southwest Career and Technical Academy. He is also the co-President of SNSJ. One of his goals as a founding member of SNSJ is to help create a network of students and advisers who can share their expertise and share the benefits of participating in scholastic journalism in Southern Nevada. When he is not working, Matt enjoys heading off to The Pearl or to The Joint to relive his teenage years rocking out.